Coconut groves, sandy beaches and an hour’s drive from Mumbai…Alibaug is the perfect summer weekend getaway. This little beach town is just 96 kms from Mumbai and 150 kms from Pune. A quick escape from the polluted environs of a city.
Here’s a little trivia for you
A wealthy Israelite, known as Eli, a resident of present-day Alibaug, owned several mango and coconut plantations. The natives took to calling the place “Eli cha Baug” which stuck. Over the generations, the name was shortened to Alibag or Alibaug.
Now you know why Alibaug is named Alibaug.
Thanks to the numerous beaches and the overall vibe of this unique place in Maharashtra, tourists throng all year long. And it is also popularly known as Mini-Goa.
So head to Alibaug, sip on a cool drink and leave some footprints in the sand.
When in Alibaug, one simply doesn’t run out of activities.
And here is but a small list of feel-good activities to experience in Alibaug.
- Enjoy the sunrise and the sunset at Alibaug Beach and the Kolaba fort on the horizon
- Experience camping on the beach under the stars, falling asleep to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore.
- Indulge in some super fun watersport activities like kayaking, jet skiing, banana boat riding, peddle boating scuba diving and more.
- Visit other popular beaches like Kihim Beach and Nagaon Beach with your camera because we are sure you are going to get the shutterbug.
- Marvel at the history and architecture of the forts on the Khanderi & Underi, twin islands just 5 kms from the coastline. One can visit Khanderi but we believe Underi to be restricted. On Khanderi there is a famous Vetal temple dedicated to spirits. A huge white stone is worshipped as the namesake Vetala. Another thing to check out here is the Metallic Rock that is near the jetty. It is believed that when struck with another stone the resultant sound is that of a metal vessel.
- Seek blessings at the Siddheshwar Temple or Kanakeshwar Temple
- Talk a walk in the biodiversity garden, a must-visit conservatory of rich flora for nature lovers. This garden boasts 17 themed gardens including sensory, vertical, butterfly, wetland and pond systems and a kitchen garden. Home to over 500 native species of flora this garden must not be missed.
- Check out the famous Mandwa Beach which offers a stunning view of the Gateway of India. Any Bollywood fan would recognise this beach from several movies as it is a popular shooting location.
- There are many thematic villas one can rent at Alibaug making your weekend even more relaxing.
With so many fun things to do in Alibaug, it’s little wonder that you must pre-plan your short vacation. Book your stay as quickly as possible and enjoy a weekend of fun in the sun and sand.
Alibaug is on the list of our favourite summer getaways in Maharashtra. As we write this, our memories take us back to many a wonderful weekend spent on the coconut-lined beaches of Alibaug