There is something about the hills and mountains that call us travellers. And Igatpuri is one such place.
Igatpuri is a charming hill station town that’s tucked away in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra. The dense green hills, the gorgeous valleys and the beautiful water bodies can soothe the weary soul.
Well connected by rail and road, city dwellers from all over Maharashtra can easily reach Igatpuri to rejuvenate.
Although not intended as a tourist town, the geographical features and mild weather has turned Igatpuri into a popular vacation spot for both adrenaline junkies and people looking to relax. The tallest peak of the Sahyadri range, Kalsubai Peak, also known as the Everest of Maharashtra, is located just 35 kms from Igatpuri. Several people visit this place to learn and practice the ancient art of Vipassana. This is because the largest centre dedicated to Vipassana is in Igatpuri.
White water rafting, hiking and trekking are other popular activities that are enjoyed by travellers and adventure seekers. So, pack your bags and escape the harsh weather of the cities to this amazing weekend getaway – Igatpuri.
Here is a list of some super fun activities you can enjoy in Igatpuri.
- Visit the Tringalwadi Fort which is 3000 ft above sea level and offers a vantage of the Nashik route and the grandeur of the Konkan region.
- Go hiking around the woods of Vihigaon waterfall or go rappelling. Whatever you choose to do, you will be mesmerised by the natural beauty of this waterfall.
- Mt. Kalsubai is just 35 kms away and the views it offers await you. There are various rigorous activities available that will give you an amazing adrenaline rush.
- Feeling spiritual? Visit the Ghantadevi Temple and offer a prayer to the protector of the Ghats.
- Visit the world’s largest Vipassana meditation centre located in Igatpuri. Dhamma Giri was founded by S. N. Goenka. The centre teaches the ancient form of meditation that was first taught in the 6th century BC by Gautam Buddha.
- Stop by to marvel at the famous entrance of Dhamma Giri, Myanmar Gate. One cannot ask for a better backdrop for a photoshoot, Thai-inspired architecture and the majestic mountains in the distance, this is a core memory in the making.
- Bhasta River Valley – Marvel at the beautiful rock formations and the rolling waters of the Bhasta River.
- Enjoy a picnic while you admire the beauty that is Camel Valley. Just a few kilometres from the Bhasta River Valley, this is a popular spot for nature lovers and photographers.
- Another famous place to visit is the Sandhan Valley, also known as Maharashtra’s Grand Canyon, an amalgamation of a valley and a canyon. If you are an adventure enthusiast, this is a great place to challenge your trekking skills.
- Trek to the highest hill fort in the state, Kulanggad Fort which is right up there at 4,800 feet high.
- Another trek you can enjoy is one to Bitangad Fort that’s about 3,500 feet high.
- Visit the Amruteshwar Temple, a Shiva temple that’s beautifully carved completely out of stone and located in Ratanwadi village in Igatpuri.
Igatpuri is a great weekend escape and a truly unique place in Maharashtra. The natural and geographical wonders are something one should experience at least once in their lifetime to experience several feel-good moments.
Explore our complete list of feel-good summer weekend getaways if you want to consider more options.