When a beach offers crystal clear waters, super-clean beaches with powder-soft sands, finger-licking Malvan food, tucked away in a little nook of the Konkan coastline. It is not just any beach destination. It is the Queen Beach of the Konkan.
Nature decided to vacation at Tarkarli and so did we. Blue waters that rival the blue skies, white sand beaches, dense mangrove forests at the confluence of the Arabian Sea and the Karli River, a hidden underwater world of wonder ready to be explored…Tarkarli is the perfect equation for a relaxed weekend getaway. And one of our favourite weekend vacation spots.
The beaches are lined with coconut and suru trees with their leaves swaying in the wind as you dash across the beach heading into the cool waters. Our minds are already there.
This offbeat destination offers vacationers tranquil beaches, Dharampur Lake enveloped in lush greenery and the serenity of the backwaters that flow into the Arabian Sea. What’s more, you can partake in so many activities like scuba diving, dolphin watching, temple hopping, the local Malvan cuisine, Devgad Hapus, the Sindhudurg fort, living in houseboats and so on. Just imagine, the perfect beach paradise, right here in Maharashtra that you can explore in a short or even a longish weekend.
To help you plan your summer weekend getaway to this unique place in Maharashtra, we have prepared a list of fun activities you can enjoy in Tarkarli. Check it out.
- Witness the sunset on Tarkarli, Kolam or Achara beaches, one of the few places where you can see the sun set right into the sea on the horizon, all while setting the sky all shades of orange.
- Take a leisurely boat ride on the clear Karli backwaters. There are some places where the water is so clear that you can see right down to the bottom. A thick mangrove forest runs along the banks of this waterbody, a sight of beauty.
- Enjoy the rush of watersports when you head to Tsunami Island. The name itself feels like something super exciting is about to happen. It’s also perfect if you want to just enjoy nature or chill on the beach.
- The first time we visited Tarkarli we stayed in a houseboat. We leisurely spent our time sailing on the Karli backwaters. It’s a very unique experience where you feel like you are a part of this picturesque landscape
- Head to Achara Beach if you want to go dolphin viewing from the shore.
- Tarkarli is just as beautiful underwater as it is above. Explore the wonders of the sea when you go snorkelling or scuba diving, a unique watersport activity that you are certain to enjoy.
- There are several temples like Mahapurush Temple, Vitthal Temple and Kunkaneshwar Temple that you can visit and offer your prayers.
- If you enjoy birdwatching then head to Devbagh Sangam, the place where the Karli River empties into the Arabian Sea. This place attracts several species of birds which you watch from afar.
- Visit Dhampur Lake to enjoy the crystal-clear waters and lush greenery of the surrounding forest. This is a 10-acre lake including the forest area, and you can enjoy a picnic and watersports here. You can also visit the Bhagwati Temple that’s really close by.
- Visit the Sindhudurg Fort, it’s a great experience. It’s one of the few forts located away from the shore so you will have to take a boat there. It is famous for its architecture, the hidden tunnels back to land, the palm and footprint of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and a temple dedicated to the great Maratha king. Be sure to take a guided tour of this place so you don’t miss any of the details. We especially loved the private pool of seawater that was made for a queen who loved swimming. And the sea wall against which the waves thrash, causing the seawater to spray over bystanders.
- Enjoy the yummy Malvan cuisine while also relishing local delicacies like shark curry.
- If you want to take in the entire sight of Tarkarli, go parasailing to enjoy the Queen Beach of the Konkan.
We have packed our shades and sunscreen already. How about you?