Of all our senses, the sense of smell creates a long-lasting memory in our brain. It’s just the way we evolved. That being said, if you were to think of at least one person with foul body odour, I’m sure you can think of a couple of names with a little wrinkle on your nose. And chances are, you can mentally count yourself too.
Body odour is more often than not a major turn-off. It plays a big role in our personality, especially when we physically interact at work, socially or when we are just out and about. It’s pretty common and we all have our own ways to battle with the stinky armpit, funky feet and the range of stench that can emanate from a person.
Thoughts that run through our mind when we encounter body odour
When we do meet someone with bad body odour, we most certainly have strong thoughts running in our head, words that almost leave our mouths. And even stronger opinions forming. There is no way of informing the B.O. sufferer without being direct or tactless. All subtlety is lost in the name of being polite.
You dread getting stuck in an elevator or a meeting room with the person. You think of avoiding any kind of interaction if you can help it. Holding your breath, thinking of gifting perfumes or deodorants, and so on and so on. And then, when you are alone, you take a secret sniff of your armpits, wondering if you stink too.
But why does body odour smell nasty?
Different regions of our body have distinctive odours. This is because of the sweating that happens. The sweat itself is odourless. It’s the bacteria that naturally reside on our skin that give out distinctive smells when it comes in contact with sweat. That’s why our armpits would smell differently than our feet or our hair. Sweating is a common reason for the foul smell but there could be other conditions like an infection, fear, sudden unease or nervousness.
You Stink! I Stink! We All Stink!
You are going to stink, for sure, most certainly on a daily basis. We all do. Here’s the thing though, you can choose to do something about bad body odour. It can be controlled. And do it for your right reasons.
It’s pretty common to become conscious of our body odour which in turn affects us.
- Our self-confidence and the way we interact socially
- Feelings of embarrassment
- Humiliation if someone points it out
- Frustration for not finding a solution
- Depression and even isolation
So, if you want to feel more confident about yourself, and work on creating a better impression then you can most certainly take a few simple steps to change the way you battle bad body odour.
Here are a few natural remedies to say goodbye to bad B.O.
- Take regular baths. Remember to wash yourself well after a workout or a long day at work. This will help keep the bacterial growth in check.
- Apply coconut oil. Coconut oil is a natural antimicrobial which will get rid of the odour-causing bacteria. It smells great too.
- Rub lime on your armpits. This is a tried and tested method that gets rid of the foul smell leaving you feeling fresh and smelling citrusy. Lime, or even lemons, are natural antiseptics that remove harmful toxins and reduce the growth of bacteria. Just rub one-half of a lime over your armpits and you should be sorted.
- Neem leaves paste. If you are looking for something stronger, then go for neem leaves. It’s antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic that gets the job done in your battle with bad body odour. Apply a simple paste made of neem leaves on your underarms for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water helps flush out the toxins from the body. It also helps compensate for the excessive sweating that happens, especially on hot days.
A simple search for tips on reducing body odour will give your several remedies to get rid of body odour. We have listed just a few that we have tried and tested (and it works too).
We hope that our blog has demystified and simplified how you can feel body confident while addressing bad body odour. As we are all bound to stink, there is no need to worry or get stressed over it. The problem can be addressed real quickly and you can go back to feeling fresh and feeling good about yourself every day.